Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Novus Quodlibet: the New Whatever

An article lamenting the loss of our heritage Mass music (Novus Quodlibet: the New Whatever) has me thinking about forced enculturation in general and the need for silence for the purpose of prayer. The author also makes the point:
At one church, I am urged to get up (if I can; they make allowances for people with disabilities) and greet the people around me by name. I do not want to do this. I find it false. I do not remember the names of strangers, and I do not like to give my name out to strangers, either. It’s an act of aggressive etiquette, parading as bonhomie. I do not go to church for bonhomie. If I ever wanted it, I would go to a bar and order gin and tonic.
Whether it is politically correct speech being forced into conversations, forced greetings, "entertainment Masses" or the aforementioned "New Whatever", the whole idea of silence and prayer seems to be left out.

In our Plain Catholic home we only have a weather radio with emergency bands. It can run on electric or on a dynamo hand crank in case our electricity is out. That is all we need. No telly with its incessant whinging about the latest political brush fire or insta-celebrity mouthing scripted politics. Our computer usage is limited to correspondence via email and to financial records as well as our occasional contribution to this blog.

The rest of our lives are the conversations with each other and the silence of prayer. Those conversations we have are as much about listening to each other as they are about talking to each other. To truly listen means to silence our own thoughts and our own lips. We do not force politically correct speech onto the other. We listen with an open heart.

What can you do today to silence the relentless noise of mass media and enculturation that distracts you from your relationship with Jesus?

1 comment:

Michelle-ozark crafter said...

Wonderful post! I am thankful for our church where all our focus is on worship of Father, Son and Holy Spirit. We are taught to pay no attention to those worshiping around us or what they are doing or how they are worshiping. Any visiting or talking with one's fellow church goers is saved for fellowship afterwards.
I also love the quiet times at home of prayer and focusing on spiritual things. we do have television but so not always watch it and listen to music or nothing or watch homilies by priests we are familiar with.


Matthew 5:16 So let your light shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven.

Sign the St. Michael Pledge

Protected by Copyscape Online Copyright Search

Ut in omnibus glorificetur Deus

Ut in omnibus glorificetur Deus